YouSeeU is designed to work with many different computers, cameras, and Internet browsers, but there are basic requirements that ensure you have a good experience.
1. YouSeeU is compatible with both Mac and PC on a desktop or laptop. At this time, iPads and some mobile devices do not have the operating system features to conduct all activity types in YouSeeU.
2. For Video Assignments, an internet connection with at least 1 Mbps upload and download speed is recommended. For Virtual Classroom sessions, there is an automatic download speed checker built into the user interface to assist in determining if the network is fast enough to run the application. The results from that speed check tool are:
- Green Dot: >8 Mbps - Good connection (all features will function as expected)
- Yellow Triangle: 1 Mbps - 8 Mbps -Poor connection (some features like audio will work, but video or desktop share could encounter problems)
- Red Hexagon: <1 Mbps - Bad connection (audio might work, but video features will not be reliable)
- Grey Diamond: No internet connection detected
If you want to check your network speed independently of the Virtual Classroom, you can check at a website like: http://www.speedtest.net/
3. A wired Internet connection is preferred. We understand that many people use a wireless connection from school, home, or even in a public area like Starbucks. Most of the time, wireless connections are fine. But, there may be times when a wireless connection can momentarily drop data in a connection. This will cause problems if you are uploading a video file or participating in an oral exam. If you find that your wireless connection is unstable, then use a wired connection or a stable wireless connection during upload or record.
4. Your Internet browser must be up-to-date. You’re OK If you have installed or updated the browser within the past six months. We have users working with all the major browsers including Firefox (most popular), Internet Explorer, Chrome, Safari, and Opera. If you run into issues using YouSeeU, start by installing a new browser as your current browser may have too many add-ons or restrictions.
-To download Firefox please click here. If you need to share your desktop in a sync meeting, you will need to use Firefox.
5. Your computer must have a current version of Adobe Flash. Visit https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html to check your Flash version and update if needed. If you are using a Mac, check your Flash settings to ensure Flash is allowed to work. All new Mac computers are defaulted to restrict Flash so you must change the settings before YouSeeU will work. Follow the steps on the Flash Tutorial for Mac article.
6. Your Computer must also have a current version of Java. Please click here to download Java. This will be used within the sync meeting page.
7. You must have a webcam and microphone working with you computer. Most computers have ‘built in’ webcams and microphones; if yours does not they can be purchased (under $20) and added to your computer. Review your computer documentation to find the system settings for mic level and control of the webcam.
8. You may also use an external video camera or smart phone to record video for some assignment types. If using an external video camera you’ll need to be familiar with its record function and process for moving the video files from your camera to your computer for upload. Keep in mind you’ll want to record in medium to low quality settings, you do not need high quality or high definition video, this will only increase the size of the file and require further editing.
9. If you need to edit a video file to reduce the size or trim the starting or ending point, use a standard program like Microsoft Movie Maker or iMovie. These programs should be on your computer or they are easy to add.