If you are new you YouSeeU, you will want to setup your student profile. Your profile can contain a brief biography of yourself, a thumbnail, and even a video introduction. This information can then be shared with your classmates and educator.
1. To setup your profile data, click on your name in the upper left.
The Info section contains your name and email address and school. This is the information you entered when you registered. You also have the ability to enter your phone number and a biography, change your timezone, and add an alternate contact email that is different from your login email.
2. If you want any emails sent by YouSeeU to go to a different email than your login email, enter it in the Email field.
3. Enter your phone number in the Phone field.
4. You have the option whether to share your email and phone number with your classmates. Select Show Contacts display your email address and phone number on your profile page.
5. You can enter a text biography as part of your profile. You may want to share a little about your background, your major, your goals, or other information. Enter the information that you want to share with your class in the Biography text box.
6. If you have low vision or use a screen reader or high contrast settings, you need to indicate so. Select the Accessibility checkbox for “Use this if you have low vision and use a screen reader or high contrast settings.”
7. Click Update to save your changes.
Now you can add a thumbnail photo of yourself.
- To do so, click Browse.
- Navigate to the location of the picture file. The picture file needs to be a jpeg, png, or gif format and must be 1 MB or smaller. Select the picture and click Open.
- Click Save and the photo will be uploaded and displayed.
Videos recorded on your profile page are NOT considered assignments. Your instructor may have an actual Introduction assignment created for you to complete. Click on the Assignment tab in your YouSeeU student dashboard to verify if you have an introduction assignment to complete.
To introduce yourself to your professor and your classmates, you can record a video introduction. When you do so, you will use your webcam and microphone to record a short introduction of yourself. Before you begin, be sure to have your webcam and microphone installed and working.
- To use the in-browser recorder, click Record in the Video section of the Edit Profile Data screen. You can click Transfer or Upload if you have already recorded your video.
- When you do so, an Adobe Flash Player Settings message appears asking you if youseeu.com can access your camera and microphone. Click Allow.
3. The YouSeeU recorder will open. It will attempt to verify your webcam and microphone. It will ask you to “Please make a normal sound to activate the recorder.”Begin speaking. When it detects a noise, the message will go away and you will see a Record button.
If the YouSeeU recorder cannot detect a sound, the message “No sound detected? Please check your microphone and sound settings.” will display. If this happens, change your audio input device in the Audio dropdown menu and try again. If the device is not listed, install or connect the device you want to use.
If you cannot see a video from your webcam, change your video input device in the Video dropdown menu. If the device is not listed, install or connect the device you want to use.
4. Once the video and audio are setup correctly, you can begin recording. Click Record on the video display to begin the recording.